- Business: The Spaceship Company
- Contract Type: Full Time
- Closing date: 31/07/2012
Headquartered at Mojave Air and Space Port, The Spaceship Company (www.thespaceshipcompany.com) is the aerospace production company, founded by Sir Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic and Scaled Composites, which is building the world’s first fleet of commercial spaceships (SpaceShipTwos) and carrier aircraft (WhiteKnightTwos). The Spaceship Company plans to make access to space safe, reliable and affordable. The Spaceship Company is dedicated to that goal by building the first fleet of spaceflight systems developed for routine, scheduled flight operations that exceed our customers’ requirements. TSC’s first customer is Virgin Galactic (www.virgingalactic.com) which is on track to become the world’s first private “spaceline”.
Main Purpose of the Role
TSC is seeking a Procurement Specialist to play a leading role in purchasing the equipment, supplies, and services necessary to establish and operate the world’s first commercial manned spacecraft production company. As such, a background in aerospace is obviously quite advantageous, although not necessary. This role will be key in implementing new supply chain- related procedures and MRP/ERP software systems. The Procurement Specialist is responsible for reviewing and coordinating documents as well as complex purchase requests, including requests for quotes, bids, proposals, complex one-time orders, and complex multi-term orders in accordance with TSC policies and the Uniform Commercial Code.
- Define vendors and award Purchase Orders for Materials/Parts as required.
- Monitor and coordinate expediting activity.
- Ability to work closely with Procurement, Production, and Production Planning managers.
- Advise and represent in negotiations with vendors.
- Analyze reports to obtain current information concerning all phases of procurement to control budget, procurement objectives, and effective procurement techniques.
- Monitor quantity and quality of work in assigned group, review buying activity, collaborate with buyers and provide feedback to same. Identify problem areas and recommend/discuss solutions with the Procurement Manager.
- Maintains records in accordance with established policies and procedures and audit guidelines.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Ability to perform complex tasks.
- Possess an established track record of procuring complex systems and structures.
- Experience and strong computer skills using MS Office Suite and various MRP/ERP systems.
- Excellent Communications skills.
- Ability to analyze and solve problems.
- Ability to evaluate procurement bids in accordance with established criteria.
- Ability to investigate and analyze information and to draw conclusions.
- Ability to document work in progress.
- Ability to use independent judgment and to manage and impart confidential information.
- Possesses good negotiating skills.
- Ability to assess contract compliance and product/service quality.
- Knowledge of internal and external auditing.
- Ability to make administrative/procedural decisions and judgments.
- Records maintenance skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Conflict resolution and/or mediation skills.
- Applicants must be U.S. persons as defined by the ITAR (22 CFR §120.15).
TSC and the greater Virgin Organization have a relaxed and informal culture that encourages individuality and innovation. You will be motivated, enterprising and enthusiastic. Company culture is such that you need to be able to “check your ego at the door”, be a self starter, and possess a sense of humility. You will work well under commercial pressure and thrive on being given challenges and responsibility. You will communicate clearly and be confident and persuasive. You will have a high level of integrity and understand the need of complete confidentiality.
Bachelor’s degree or comparable purchasing experience (minimum 1-3 years)
Please click here to apply. Don’t forget to mention that you learned about this job from Procurement.tv